Bedlam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lost [Vesna/public]

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr

Lost [Vesna/public] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost [Vesna/public]   Lost [Vesna/public] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 12:56 am

"Hn," he shrugged one shoulder, "Pretty sure I didn't know where my heart was, either, back then." Did anyone? He couldn't really remember; the understanding of the human body had come an awfully long way, since he was a kid. And he didn't exactly keep up-to-date with the latest scientific findings.

Unable to stand it, he groped around for the cigarette box again, pulling one out. "......Got a light?" How had he survived that long, without having the nicotine to constantly fall back on, when he needed a small distraction from the present moment? (Or was a better question how had he survived, with it?)

"...Problems only catch up with you on land," he mumbled around the cigarette, clamped between his teeth as he pocketed the box again. "You leave one shithole, you find another--might seem prettier at first, but it doesn't change anything." On the sea, he was in the perpetual mode of escape. As soon as he set foot on land, he had officially arrived at his destination, but it was the journey there that brought him peace. When he was sailing, that was precisely all he had to think about: sailing.
Back to top Go down
bubbelah

PostSubject: Re: Lost [Vesna/public]   Lost [Vesna/public] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 1:30 am

Hesitating, she finally laughed, realizing that he might have been trying to get her to feel better about it. "It wasn't exactly... 'back then'," She patted his arm again.  "But thanks for trying." It was kind of sweet, in a lazy way.  

She held up the lit lighter again, murmuring a "don't waste them all", and opened the door to the stairs that led to other wards.  His outlook on life was... Depressing.  It wasn't what she expected.  "I don't think that's true..." But she really had no proof.  All her life, ships had come in, but she had never gone out.  And to her all of it seemed decidedly interesting.  Like when the oranges had first come in, and she could only dream of where they'd come from. She could just never have more than a taste of it.  But maybe he wasn't just dissatisfied.  Maybe he was running away.  Either way, she wasn't fond of deep talk in public, concentrating was difficult.  

But she had been lucky, to come across someone who loved most of what she did, as well.  Rich, to boot.  Not to mention tall... And an odd kind of handsome.  

"What ward are your brothers on? Maybe I know them..." She hadn't ever seen anyone similar.  
Back to top Go down
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr

PostSubject: Re: Lost [Vesna/public]   Lost [Vesna/public] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 10:38 pm

Grimacing partly from the pat on the arm (he didn't know how comfortable he was with all these...non-sexual...physical gestures), partly from the sight of the stairs, he grumbled, "Yeah, I didn't think so, either, when I was your age." Wait a couple hundred years. He'd gone from being very nearly Broos-like, to a corrupt, old, greedy cynic. Then his company collapsed because of it, and his frilly posh brother went and happily lapped up the remains, so he could be in control of his Asian bint, no matter from how many hundreds of miles away. Fine. Whatever.

Clamping the cigarette between two teeth, he held onto the railing tightly, carefully going down step by step. He always felt so...unsteady on these things. They weren't as disastrously narrow as the ones at his home, but still. It was hard not to remember that he had a long, long way to fall.

"First ward," he spoke around the cigarette, keeping his attention on his feet, "One's in second, but he hangs out in the first." Because he was obsessed with the girl there. "Ambroos, guy in a wheelchair. And The Hague." Most people knew Niels far better by the place he represented. Which was all fine and good, in Diederik's opinion, because he certainly wouldn't such a good rep if they knew him for anything else.
Back to top Go down
bubbelah

PostSubject: Re: Lost [Vesna/public]   Lost [Vesna/public] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 12:50 am

She didn't know a person that didn't like to be touched.  Well, Piter, but she did anyway, and she didn't really count him as a person anymore. She crossed her arms (perfectly comfortable with stairs, she'd never realized how easy they were without heels) and looked perturbed.  "'When I was your age'... I'm not a kid, you know?" He probably didn't know, but he should have, the way she'd seen him looking her over.  "I'm a hero city, you know that?" She didn't like to brag, especially about something that sent shudders down her spine to this day, but she had to get her point across. Although... She had lost too much direction in her life to claim the same integrity, nowadays.  

"Why are you so afraid of falling?" He couldn't pretend like he couldn't stretch one of his legs over four whole steps, it seemed absurd.  "Has it happened before?" 

Then she thought about the descriptions of his brothers.  She'd seen them, for sure.  "....Did the wheelchair one lose his leg falling down the stairs?" That's why he was afraid.  

She almost scowled when he mentioned the Hague.  So she had a problem with the Turkish mafia, and women weren't so safe.  She could handle it-- she didn't need someone with no idea of her life to try and police her. "What a prick." There wasn't much else to say.
Back to top Go down
nahn-SEK-wuh-tuhr

PostSubject: Re: Lost [Vesna/public]   Lost [Vesna/public] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 12:40 am

His eyebrows furrowed, though he was still focusing on the stairs, "Never said you were." She was a kid in comparison, really, but it wasn't the point he was driving at. "'When I was your age' was three hundred years ago. Plenty of time to change viewpoints." Plenty of time to see the world, and plenty of time to get disillusioned with it. Though it was admittedly probably just him and not the world. There were a lot of people, after all, who stepped out beyond their lands and were only all the more happy for it. "And what the hell does that mean," he grunted in response to her honorary title. That shithead Piter called himself that, too, so it didn't exactly impress the Dutchman right off the bat.

Grimacing when she inquired into his concern about the stairs, he unhappily admitted to the truth, "...Ja. The stairs at my house...they're like deathtraps." He couldn't even comfortably plant one of his feet sideways on one of the steps, without it hanging over the edge slightly. And falling down them had been no cheerful experience--though at least no one else but his dog had been around to witness it.

"......No." It seemed like that was all he had to say about Broos' leg. As for Niels, he merely snorted, with a look that said 'tell me about it'. He had to live with the prick. He let the subject drop as he descended the last few steps, and got to the landing without breaking his neck. Finally able to take the cigarette out from between his teeth, he knocked some of the ashes out, not quite looking at her, "He got bombed, he said. World war two. I wasn't there." He'd been in a different kind of hell, at the time. But he didn't like talking about either. The nightmares still woke him in the darkness--and in this dreary, prison-like place, going through withdrawal again for the first time since then, he sometimes woke up thinking he was still in that nightmare. That it had never ended.

Back to top Go down
bubbelah

PostSubject: Re: Lost [Vesna/public]   Lost [Vesna/public] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 1:14 am

She didn't think she'd change much.  Or was it that she changed so much she didn't notice it?  This presented a conundrum.  The next time she did anything she would ask herself if the her from a few minutes before would agree to do that thing.  To see if she'd changed viewpoints.  

"A Hero City means..." Shaving your head till it bled to get the lice out.  Standing in a firing line and taking bullet after bullet.  Staying to fight among the bones after help was gone before they bombed her out.  Hearing the phrase 'Judenrein'-- 'jew free'-- without flinching.  Holding a near-dead boy like it was some horrifying Pietà. "Outstanding heroism in world war two.  I got a medal and everything." 

And most of the time, just like him, it meant never talking about it again.  If she could have become disillusioned, it should have happened by then.  

Giggling slightly when he talked about the steps, she hopped to the bottom to gesture as if she was guiding an airplane to the ground.  "So aren't you glad you're here, then? Just one more." 

Her laughter stopped at the mention of his brother.  "Oh..." He didn't seem too upset about it though.  Should she feel bad for bringing it up?  He was too hard to read. "I'm sorry about that..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lost [Vesna/public]   Lost [Vesna/public] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lost [Vesna/public]
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2